Thomas J. McCarthy
33 Bloomfield Hills Parkway
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 48304-2946
Thomas J. McCarthy earned his undergraduate degree in 1980, with distinction, from the University of Michigan - Dearborn and his law degree from Wayne State University Law School in 1984. He practices in the area of real estate law, specializing in condemnation, property acquisitions and transactions, real estate litigation, land use approvals, and environmental law.
Prior to joining the Monaghan firm, Mr. McCarthy served as Director of Special Projects for the County of Wayne and was charged with implementing numerous land acquisition projects for the expansion of Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport and Willow Run Airport, as well as other public projects for the County. Mr. McCarthy continues to represent public agencies, individual property owners, businesses and corporations in condemnation and real property matters. His practice also includes both commercial litigation and transactional work.
Mr. McCarthy has authored several articles and lectured on various real estate and environmental law issues. He is a member of the State Bar of Michigan (real property and public corporation law sections)and the International Right-of-Way Association. He is admitted to practice before all Michigan courts and the United States District Courts for Michigan and the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Mr. McCarthy is the firm's Managing Director and is available to provide additional information about the Monaghan firm.
- Year Joined Organization:
- Areas of Practice:
- Eminent Domain/ Condemnation
- Real Estate Law
- Property Acquisitions
- Real Estate Litigation
- Land Use Approvals
- Environmental Law
- Bar Admissions:
- Michigan, 1984
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1997
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan,
- University of Michigan -Dearborn,
B.A., With Distinction
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan, Real Property Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Public Corporation Law Section
- International Right-of-Way Association
- Past Employment Positions:
- County of Wayne, Director of Special Projects