Boris K. Yakima
33 Bloomfield Hills Parkway
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan 48304-2946
Boris K. Yakima is a 1970 graduate of Wayne State University Law School. He has specialized in eminent domain, or condemnation law, for the majority of his legal career. Mr. Yakima's concentration on eminent domain law began when he joined the legal staff of the Office of the Corporation Counsel of the City of Detroit in 1972. During his tenure with the City, he was both trial and appellate counsel in charge of an on-going series of large public projects. These projects involved the acquisition of thousands of parcels of property. In addition to urban renewal and single purpose acquisitions, Mr. Yakima represented the City of Detroit Water Department in its right-of-way acquisitions.
Since joining the Monaghan law firm in 1978, Mr. Yakima's practice has evolved into one which represents both owners of property being acquired for public projects and public agencies involved in condemnation matters.
Mr. Yakima is a past Chairman of the State Bar Real Property Section, Eminent Domain Committee and was a member of the subcommittee that drafted proposed legislation that eventually was enacted as the Uniform Condemnation Procedures Act in 1980. Since enactment of the Condemnation Act, Mr. Yakima has authored several articles and lectured extensively on the Act itself and on condemnation law in general. He is a frequent lecturer on condemnation law for both legal and real estate professional organizations and has served as a special mediator, arbitrator and expert witness in condemnation litigation.
In addition to the State Bar of Michigan, Mr. Yakima is a member of the Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys and the Michigan Chapter of the International Right-of-Way Association (IRWA) and has served as Co-Chair of the Law and Legislation Committee of the IRWA.
- Year Joined Organization:
- Bar Admissions:
- Michigan, 1970
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1970
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court, 1970
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan,
- Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan,
Major: American History
Major: Political Science
- Published Works:
- Reimbursement of Attorney Fees & Litigation Costs Under Uniform Condemnation Procedures Act, 16 Mich. Real Prop. Rev. 249, Winter, 1989
- Representative Cases:
- City of CenterLine v. Chmelko, 164 MI App 251, 416 N.W. 2d 401 (Mich.App. 1987)
- City of Detroit v. Hart, 416 Mich. 488, 331 N.W. 2d 438 (Michigan Supreme Court 1982)
- Henrich v. City of Detroit, 90 Mich. App. 692, 282 N.W.2d 448 (Mich. App. 1979)
- Classes/Seminars Taught:
- Lecturer, "Uniform Condemnation Procedures Act"
- Frequent Lecturer on Condemnation Law
- Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Michigan
- City of Detroit, 1973 - 1978
- Assistant Corporation Counsel
- City of Detroit, 1978 - 1983
- Special Counsel, Condemnation
- State Bar of Michigan, Real Property Section
- Past Chairman, Eminent Domain Committee
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys
- International Right-of-Way Association, Michigan Chapter
- Co-Chair, The Law and Legislation Committee
- Past Employment Positions:
- Office of the Corporation Counsel of the City of Detroit, Legal Staff, 1972 - 1978